In this episode, I am joined by Dr. Mark Dooley to discuss the life and work of Sir Roger Scruton in light of the new volume Against the Tide: The Best of Roger Scruton’s Columns, Commentaries, and Criticism.
Meet Dr. Dooley
Mark Dooley is an Irish philosopher, author, and journalist who has held lectureships at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, and at University College Dublin where he was also John Henry Newman Scholar in Theology. From 2003-2006, he wrote on foreign affairs for the Sunday Independent. From 2006-2018, he wrote a weekly column on ‘Moral Matters’ for the Irish Daily Mail. He is currently a Contributing Editor to The European Conservative magazine. Dooley is Sir Roger Scruton’s Literary Executor.
Books by Mark Dooley:
- Roger Scruton: The Philosopher on Dover Beach
- Conversations with Roger Scruton
- The Roger Scruton Reader
Works by Roger Scruton:
- The Aesthetics of Music
- The Aesthetics of Architecture
- Sexual Desire: A Philosophical Investigation
- Philosophy: Principles and Problems
- Culture Counts: Faith and Feeling in a World Besieged
- The Face of God: The Gifford Lectures
- Modern Culture
- Fools, Frauds and Firebrands: Thinkers of the New Left
The Digital Public Square is a production of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission and is produced and hosted by Jason Thacker.
Production assistance is provided by Kadin Christian. Technical production provided by Owens Productions. It is edited and mixed by Mark Owens.
Digital Public Square Podcast with Jason Thacker
Conversations on theology, ethics, and philosophy in the public square